Thursday, January 6, 2011
End of My World as I Know It
This morning, Emma came and found me in bed. Does that sound odd to you? Well, it does to ME because up until today, I was the one to go to Emma's bed and get her out. Now, she can do that all on her own. And she doesn't have her own room, so wherever she wakes up, she causes terror. She started with the new sticky notes I purchased and spread them over the room, then moved on to the front room. This alone, is perhaps some of the worst news I can think of, but wait, there's more. Since there is no door she cannot open, no object she cannot obtain, later today, she found the crayons, and drew all over the bedroom door. When I put her in the crib for time out, she climbed OUT OF THE CRIB!! (which landed her head inches away from the corner of our bed's metal frame that holds the mattress)!! This means no safe zone, no peace for mother, no naps, and on and on!! It seems like every January manages to be my crisis month. Last year it was car trouble, and being sick for a solid week. I guess I like tradition, because I am still trying to kick this cold I've had since New Year's Eve. Do you have a crisis month? Do you have ideas for how to avoid it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
So why am I smiling from ear to ear!! It really changes your perspective to be a grandparent. Everything they do is wonderful and amazing.
Grandma Olsen
Oh Dear. Oh, dear. Oh dear!!! You can handle this, but, oh! dear!
I am reminded of a Cosby episode where Bill Cosby puts his grandkids in a pack and play and they keep escaping, so he turns the pack and play upside-down and puts it on top of them. Here daughter was not really thrilled when she got home and found her kids in a cage, but I've always thought it was a pretty clever idea.
Oh Megan! I've been lucky enough to never have one climb out of a crib (maybe because I put them in a twin bed by the time they are 2? But Emma's not even 2 yet!)...but I have a friend who has and she loves what she calls her crib net. Here is a link:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=crib+net&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gzK&rlz=1R1GGGL_enUS352US352&prmd=ivns&resnum=1&biw=1024&bih=548&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8831318992180825955&sa=X&ei=NFQmTd2tO5G6sQOc2aSzAw&ved=0CHQQ8gIwAA#
Good luck!
Yep, those good ole days are gone!
But Emma's such a cutie who could be mad at her?
Bruce
Oh, I am so sorry! It definitely changes things when they learn to climb out of their cribs. Emma sounds like quite the busy little girl. As strong and fast and crazy as my Atticus is, he has never used writing utensils on walls. Duct tape? Staples? Super glue? I don't know if they're exactly legal... but they might work.
Me!gan, I remember well when my son Joe was exactly like Emma. Bob tied his leg to the crib. really bad and dangerous ,gave up on that idea. Next night we heard noises-----IT WAS TOTALLY dark and he was in the medicine cab,, in the bathroom! Soon another phase will challenge you. My advise? Put locks at the top of outside doors and keep her busy and sleep with one eye open, Bless you! Love you.
WOW! That is crazy! I wish I knew what you could do. I guess every cabinet and every door will need looks and those plastic door knob covers for the door. Maybe that will help. Good luck!!!
I don't know if I have a crisis month, but the same thing happened to me a couple months ago with the twins. It really makes makes you feel like you discovered that the earth (although you believed it to be round) was really flat. It really boggles your mind! I would be in another room and a door would start opening, and where does my mind go? ... "oh, the twins must have gotten out of their bed!" NO, immediately I think, "there's a robber in the house! how ELSE could that door open!?!" :) I actually thought that a few times before my mind adjusted! :) We're constantly trying to adapt to their every growing skill set!
Post a Comment