Last week, when my life was in chaos (Emma climbing out of the crib, my cold that wouldn't go away, being left at home without a car, etc.) I was doing some dishes with the TV on. A Kleenex commercial came on. It stated how wonderfully comforting their tissues were and argued that people can't help but go out into the streets and share the goodness. As I saw a woman who seemed so cheerful and well walk into the streets and hand someone this luxurious tissue, I decided then and there that I needed some of that happiness, some of that pampering for my sorry, sick little self.
So, when Andrew came home with the car, I took myself to Smiths and went all out. I purchased name-brand cough drops that not only "soothe sore throats and relieve coughs," but also "cool nasal passages." Oh! how that sounded so good to me. I also purchased those Kleenex tissues that were $2.29, more than double the cheapest of the cheap 99-centers I had purchased the week before, and I didn't even use a coupon for them. But I didn't stop there. Other items that found there way into my cart included a cooling face mask that lays over your eyes and relieves the sinuses, "diva bling bling"-colored nail polish (that now makes my pampered toes BLING!), an exfoliating peel-off face mask, a cucumber to go with it, and the one treat that made me forget my postpartum pains in the hospital: Lorna Doones. (I must admit, I switched out the standard $5 box for a $2 one I later found that had mini cookies in 100-calorie packs; less cookies for the money, but less money spent. You can't throw all caution to the wind.)
It's amazing what joy, relief, and happiness comes from a few lavishly-spent dollars. I'm not sure if my relief comes from better products, or the mind-set of being able to purchase them, but I definitely feel like my days are lookin' up. I think perhaps it's a bit of both. What things make you feel pampered and in what situations would you stretch the budget to get there?
4 comments:
Oh those tissues sound amazing! The only ones I have (at home and at work) feel like wrapping paper. I totally relate--I appreciate being pampered the most when I'm sick. No cough syrup is too expensive, no frozen cookie-dough too frivolous. Every once in a while I also fork over the big bucks to get REAL cranberry juice. It tastes so refined with a bar of chocolate...
I'm laughing. You are such a SPENDER. How could you shop without your coupons?! Every 6 months or so Ryan and I "throw caution to the wind" and go get a bucket- that's right: a BUCKET- of chips from Los Hermanos and a large container of their oh-so-fabulous salsa. Then we go home and gorge for awhile:). I love it. Way to take a break for a second and just take care of yourself!
I'm glad you were able to pamper yourself, especially after ALL the chaos. I remember the time I MOST put "caution to the wind" at least with buying "name brand" and not the cheap kind was when I was pregnant with Alice and had really bad morning sickness. The "cheap brand" wouldn't cut it and I had to get what my stomach "wanted". Whatever I was craving I could keep down, but I couldn't get the "fake kind" or I would still throw it up...believe me I tried :P. That was a crazy time.
What makes me feel pampered is probably.....when someone cooks for me or when we go out to eat somewhere nice. I don't HATE cooking, but there are times I am just so tired to cook so sometimes I like to save a bit for those "emergencies" to go out to eat :)
ha ha! we mamas deserve to be pampered!
Post a Comment