Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ode to Runners

I am in awe of people who run, who really run, and run a lot. I am trying to be like you. I have set a goal to run a half marathon this year, and I actually registered for one. It feels kind of like a long shot, though, seeing how I've never run more than six miles before in my life and a half marathon is more than double that mileage, totaling 13.1 miles. This Saturday I'm supposed to run eight. We'll see how that goes. Lucky for me I have some great friends to run with on my long runs each week, so that helps a ton. On the treadmill, however, even just three miles feels like quite a mountain. I actually really love to run, at least, outside. Living in Salt Lake is so fun. I had a great run yesterday as we ran through Sugarhouse. It also feels so good to be up with the world in the morning and see people getting to work, stopping for coffee, smelling all the bakeries, etc. I've experienced a lot of Salt Lake just by running past it. I've seen Liberty Park a lot, Westminster, Sugarhouse, the avenues, and Salt Lake City cemetery a few times. I am grateful for something that gets me out of bed and gives me life experience. I just hope I can stick with it.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

Good luck, Meggie, on your run this Saturday, and on your resolve to stick with an invigorating, hard thing.
I love and am proud of you.
Dad

Mary Pugh said...

You go girl!